Make your own countdown timer.

Friday, September 2, 2011

traditional music and churches made of gold



Iglesia De La Compania De Jesus

Traditional dancing

This was taken a different day but it was just outside quito
So this post is a little bit late but I’m just getting around to it. This past Sunday I went to the center of Quito, which is the old part of the city. It was so beautiful. It’s the colonial style houses and steep coble stone streets. Every Sunday they block off a handful of streets and there’s music, street performers, artwork, dancing, and much more. This past month was Ecuadorian culture month so it was really busy everywhere we went. The music was all the traditional Andean music, which I love so much, and it was accompanied by the traditional dancing by the natives. It was really cool to get to see this up close. There are also A LOT of churches in the old part because most everyone here is either catholic or Christian. Anyways we went into a lot of the churches and walked around and I have never seen anything like them. These churches are completely different then what I’m used to seeing. They are all quite big and all the statues and podiums are made of gold so everything just shines. It was really enchanting. There was this one church that is almost always closed but was open for this one day so my family jumped on that opportunity in a blink of an eye.  They kept telling me how special it is and rare that we get to go inside. I kept thinking to myself what would make this church so special because all the other ones I thought were special. As soon as I stepped in I understood. Pretty much the entire inside was gold.  It was amazing.  We also went to a few museums that were there as well. One was the coin museum that was about the money here in Ecuador since the Incan and Mayan money. Anyways after a few hours hanging out and walking all over the downtown we walked back to grandmothers house (my dads side) where every Sunday the whole family has lunch and dinner together. That was really fun as well because the family is so great and I get alone great with all of them. I can’t wait for next Sunday so I can walk back into the old part because that ‘s the part I like most about any city, it’s where all the history is. 

 




 

1 comment:

  1. Me gustan las fotos! Puedes escribir bien de los lugares turisticos:) Vas a conocer bien la ciudad de Quito despues un ano!

    ReplyDelete