Make your own countdown timer.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

A little bit of home in South America

After waking up around 11:30 and making a big egg sandwich I hung out for a little while until my grandparents arrived (the same ones with the farm). We all said hello and talked for a bit and then went out to lunch to meet my mom. Once we were done my sister said she wanted to go skating, and I had a puzzled look on my face. Like roller skating I asked and she said no like ice skating. I was shocked to learn of an ice rink here in the big city of Quito. I of course said yes. So my sister, cousin and I went to a big mall where there was an ice rink inside. To no surprise it was quite small, maybe half the size of a full size rink. It was quite busy with lots of people skating in circles. Well if you call holding onto the walls for dear life skating, then pretty much everyone was skating. No one really knew how to skate and why would they, they live on the equator. For me though, this is my home turf. I grew up skating, sometimes spending 10 hours a day in sub zero weather at the local ice rink (yeah that really happened). So I was weaving in and out of the traffic having fun taking time here and there to help my sister and cousin to not fall. Finally something on my exchange that was familiar and normal to me. Even though there's nothing normal about skating on the equator.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the stories Koda! Can you post some pictures too? I remember those days you spent at the ice rink!

    ReplyDelete